3/1/15

5 things - March 1




"I find frivolousness to be very deep. The frivolous is the foam that floats over the depths. Human drama doesn't consist of big tragic incidents. Naturally, they happen in the course of a life - but for the most part, it's full of small details, minor scrapes, wrinkles, micro-events, that together make up the struggle of being." - Yasmina Reza

It's no easy feat for me to keep writing these five things, let me tell you. LOL. But here goes...

1. Thoughts on watching Boyhood: I'm assuming most people who use the internet know about this movie. Richard Linklater (the writer and director of the Before series) filmed Boyhood over the course of 12 years. It's the story of a single mother and her two children, a boy named Mason and his older sister Samantha. If there's a time to use the word "mundane" it would be this movie. Nothing much happens in Boyhood other than what we would consider as "life." It's like watching a part of my own childhood onscreen, probably with different names and location, but pretty much there it is - our own lives presented in a supposedly fictional coming-of-age tale. And I loved every minute of it. I've always been a big fan of Linklater's vision - slice of life, lots and lots and lots of talking, making everything seem so natural and effortless, without sacrificing depth, the bigger picture which is to show the universal truths of our lives. These truths are often amiss or put aside in films in favor of cinematic moments, breathtaking revelations, and escapism. Sometimes it is truly a breathe of fresh air to see things, people, and their thoughts just as they are, just as we truly are in person - flawed, boring fuck-ups whose greatest desire in life is to love and be loved. Aint that the truth? (which reminds me how pissed I am that this movie and Linklater did not get any of the awards at the Oscars. Give the man something for the love of God). 

And, I just have to say, Patricia Arquette's character reminds me of my own mother in so many, many ways. Her emotional aria at the end of the film is a golden moment. 

2. I've been reading real serious stuff this week - How To Be A Parisian Wherever You Are, written by four Parisian friends: Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret, and Sophie Mas. Because I'm a lover of all things frivolous, I had to get a copy of this. In order to appreciate this tongue-and-cheek coffee table book, you have to know how not to take it too seriously. The book contains how-tos; snippets of what Parisiennes like, do, and think; love advice, and some not-so-fresh notes on Parisienne's preoccupations (e.g. natural beauty, effortlessness, and air of mystery). I admit some of them made me gag (like why the hell should I send myself flowers in order to woo a man. Geez!) Also I'm still on the fence about the whole issue of love and fidelity in France. There was a whole chapter in the book entitled "The ABCs of Cheating." I'm well aware that the French has a totally different view on fidelity. They believe that it's okay to have "lovers" on the side so long as you are emotionally faithful to your spouse or long-term partner. They have embraced the fact that humans are inherently polygamous, so why go against the grain. Hmmm I'm not yet sold on this though. Other than that, the cheeky notes on how Parisiennes view the world, men, their body, beauty, and womanhood, in general, is quite funny if, I repeat If, you find the humor in it. It's an easy read on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

3. I'm watching the latest season of The Bachelor - yeah I judge myself big time. But it's one of the funniest shit I've watched in a long time. Or maybe this article is one of the finest, funniest commentary (yeah profile) of The Bachelor. I've only watched  The Bachelorette two years ago, and I was truly invested, like a doting mother, on what would become of Jef and Emily's story. They basically broke-up a few months after their season aired. Big shocker, I know. Even if you know it's ridiculous and the people involved are delusional, you can't help but wait around and see what happens to them. Much like the charisma of The Kardashians (well at least to me that's true). How in the world is it possible to find love in a reality show? No, no... How is it logical to expect to MARRY someone by the end of the show? It's fucking ridiculous. But the finale's next week, and I will be patiently waiting. Who's ridiculous now huh?

4. On a personal level, I'm still in awe of how my new work schedule has transformed me into a boring, responsible adult. You want to know how I realized I've become this uber responsible person? I wash my goddamn dishes every single night. And that's before I make myself a glass of warm milk before getting ready to sleep. Yes, every night like I have a family of four or something. Not once have I been able to keep my apartment clean, finish my work on time, and do my workouts daily - on a regular basis. Not once. And now I'm doing it with little effort. Welcome to my boring world. Hahaha.

5. My anxiety is still ongoing. A part of me wants to stop talking about it because a.) it's boring as fuck and b.) maybe for a change if I don't recognize it, it would completely disappear in my thoughts. I'm doing the best I can to battle this unsettling feeling, to silence the worrywart and the hypochondriac inside me. Just last night I was googling the symptoms of MS; and of course, it led me to the holy grail of hypochondriacs: WebMD. I need to stop doing this. It doesn't help that I live alone which basically leaves me with a lot of time to think, overthink, and think some more. It's a recipe for disaster for an anxious person like me. But I just want to get it out there, hoping that eventually I'll be able to fully manage this with a healthy mind and body. What did I just say? 

But seriously, if any of you have book recommendations on battling anxiety and dealing with worry, please share.

Bonus: Because my hero (aka Heather Havrilesky) is at it again- please read this week's Ask Polly for some empowering stuff, not just for dull girls.

Alright, see ya next week!

1 comment: