6/7/15

5 things - June 7


This picture makes me laugh because it reminds me of that Kevin Hart dance move to the tune of "You ain't gonna do shit." They're really not the same but, yeah, he ain't shit.

1. I've successfully weaned myself off Facebook after months of wasted time. Even though we all know by now how social media works, you know, the whole slave-to-technology preach, we all fall into this trap from time to time. Sometimes when I find myself too active on social media, I truly feel exhausted. You open the app, check for updates, see how many likes you got, get caught up in other people's lives, open the app again, see no red updates, close the app, vow to open it later, find yourself opening the damn app again for no reason at all except for reflex. It's exhausting. Not to mention how I recognize this vapid part of me that gets fed every time I post something, somewhere. I feel dirty sometimes, so I try to stop, regroup, and miss the hoopla every once in a while.

2. But if you thought I found better ways to spend my time with, well, I'm not really sure if keeping up with the Kardashians counts.  I have a soft spot for the Kardashians. I don't despise them. Do I think they're vapid and shallow? Of course yes. Do I think they're entertaining? I do - in an I-can't -believe-she-said-that kind of way. They seem so oblivious most times that it makes you play this game of "what-ifs?" What if I had that face? Would I really subject myself to surgery? Mygod I would be thanking Jesus every single morning for giving me such a beautiful face. What if I could jet set around the world and buy a million-dollars-worth townhouse at age 18 in exchange for privacy and integrity? I'd probably consider it. It's endless what-ifs. White noise. And now comes Caitlyn. I can't believe the whole Kardashian-Jenner phenomenon could get any more dramatic than this. Most people are quick to judge but a number have shown support for Bruce Jenner's transition. I can't imagine how this family copes with such public controversies and scrutiny. But at the end of the day, at age 65 and once the beacon of American athletes, Bruce Jenner's decision to become a woman, given his background, is certainly admirable. 

3. I've been...
Reading Eat That Frog
Listening to ASAP Rocky's new album (At Long Last ASAP) and loving "Excuse Me" all day every day
Watching a whole lot of Amy Schumer (such an inspiring, funny, talented woman)
Also this Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie speech (brief one) made me smile - "Forget about being likable."

4. I can't believe President Obama is quite the romantic. I've read this on Medium from the article entitled "What Do You Call It When You Stop Liking The Person You're Dating?" For me it's called human relationships.

"...what sustains our relationship is I'm extremely happy with her, and part of it has to do with the fact that she is at once completely familiar to me, so that I can be myself and she knows me very well and I trust her completely, but at the same time she is also a complete mystery to me in some ways. And there are times when we are lying in bed and I look over and sort of have a start. Because I realize there's this other person who is separate and different and has different memories and backgrounds and thoughts and feelings." - Barack Obama

5. My youngest sister just graduated from high school this week. She's about to go to college this year with a full scholarship. My other sister has also served as a US medic in Afghanistan and South Korea. She just came back late last year and is now a full-time college student. I'm so proud of both of them and miss them every single day. I also miss my mama and papa every day. There are just some days when it's hard to live all by yourself and you miss your family so much. I would have wanted to celebrate with them during such special occasions. (This is probably the reason why I'm watching the Kardashians. You know, Family). I can't help but feel sorry for myself at times as I try to come to terms with this situation. I brush it off and try to focus on my goals for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment